What makes a gator a gypsy?

teacher, traveler, photographer, political junky, smash and bash artist, grandmimi, mom, canine companion

Thursday, March 26, 2015

Mixed Media Mayhem - The Documented Life - Borderline

March Theme       Making Your Mark (Doodles & Mark Making)
March 14               Art Challenge:  Borders
Journal Prompt:  "Borderline feels like I'm going to lose my mind."


I am not much for doodling except in the phone book but I can identify with the condition, borderline, I feel like I'm going to lose my mind.   So I let this journal page combine some of my ways of making marks and using journaling as a device for relaxation.  My finished spread does not have a border but it is borderline.




For a random start I gessoed the page then spritzed it with yellow, turquoise, and green Dylusions Ink and blotted it with a paper towel.



Seeing the overspray on the towel reminded me of my collection of dyed paper towels...(yes tha't right...paper towels are gorgeous when loaded with paint or dye.)  I pulled out a pile and began tearing them into pieces.




I found one sheet that I love for the background and the beauty of paper towels is you always have two of a kind as you pull the layers apart.  I glued the whole pieces down to the pages




I see a floral patten so began tearing circles to represent blooms and glueing them to work with the existing pattern in the background.  As I glued them down I crumpled them for texture then went back in to add gold to the centers.





As the piece came together it reminded me a Chinese floral painting so I added my journaling vertically to simulate calligraphy seals.


When I felt finished I used a Gelato to to around the outside edge to comply with the challenge of making a border.



7 comments:

  1. It's very pretty! I like the look of the paper towel. It looks soft like chalk. I like this page!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Truly awesome page! I have been saving my inky paper towels but have not used them. You gave me something to think about!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Linda, This is a stunning layout! I'm a HUGE sucker for the tissue paper/paper towel look as well, WOW!! I think it's just beautiful Linda. Thanks for sharing !
    Big Hugs!!
    Reeah.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gorgeous use of the paper towels. I too keep them and glue them on stuff sometimes. A very fun process :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just enjoy this so much - I keep coming back for more!!

    ReplyDelete