What makes a gator a gypsy?

teacher, traveler, photographer, political junky, smash and bash artist, grandmimi, mom, canine companion

Wednesday, March 18, 2015

Mixed Media Mayhem - Layers You Will Love - High Five and the Documented Life Project

Documented Life Project
February Theme
Layers You Will Love!
February 28
Art Challenge:  Using at Least Five Layers
Journal Prompt:  Give Me a  High Five


The challenge for this week was to use at least five layers which is easy enough for me who can not keep from slathering on the stuff.  Harder was addressing "Give Me a High Five," the theme of the week so I decided to keep it simple.  

My first big decisions were choosing a color palette and selecting a tool/technique for applying the color to my page.  To start layering I wrote the prompts on my pages and gessoed over it.  Using a credit card, I spread acrylic green and yellow to give me some variations of bright grass green. 






For images on the pages I used a technique I learned in The Art Journal Workshop: Break Through, Explore, and Make it Your Own by Traci Bunkers and in the Youtube videos of Dyan Reaveley and Dina Wakley.  I placed my hand in several locations and used a baby wipe to remove the surrounding paint to leave my handprint.  I took this a step further by inking my hand with acrylic paint and stamping it on to the page.


To make my layers stand out I used a variety of pens and pencils to outline my hand images.


More layers included adding violet through the circle stencil, writing random related thoughts around my fingers, recording the steps or layers, and adding the "high five."


With the literal and figurative high fives on the page, I decided to stop and call it complete.



4 comments:

  1. This would be such a challenge for me! All these prompts when I tend to like to go it alone. I think you did a fantastic job of expressing yourself and following the challenge!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I tend to go Off topic...and keep several journals going at once to track my randomness...thanks for your feedback

      Delete
  2. This is a great piece!!! I love the hand prints and also the splash of violet that you used, that always catches my eyes and draws me in. Love it!!! hugs, patty

    ReplyDelete
  3. Terrific colour combination, Linda - high fives for spring!

    ReplyDelete