What makes a gator a gypsy?

teacher, traveler, photographer, political junky, smash and bash artist, grandmimi, mom, canine companion

Sunday, March 27, 2016

Digital Journal - Mixed Media Mayhem - IPhonography

Old Porto


I love flea markets...I always head to booths that sell old books, papers, postcards, stamps, and other vintage printed materials.  With photo apps and Photoshop, I can create these images in the virtual world of digital imaging.  In this exercise I used a slightly out of focus picture of the riverfront in Porto, Portugal.



I added a layer of watercolor to bring out the blocks of color.


When these layers are blended and overlaid with some texture, the image begins to take on a vintage, painted look.



Sorting through my brushes, I find several with old postage and cancellations, burned edges, and grunging marks.  Playing with brushes and blending modes is to me like video gaming is to kids.  I have to make myself stop, save the layers, and look forward to future experiments.








7 comments: