What makes a gator a gypsy?

teacher, traveler, photographer, political junky, smash and bash artist, grandmimi, mom, canine companion

Friday, December 26, 2014

Mixed Media Mayhem - Beach Life

Recently I was clearing out magazines...a difficult task because I reread them and hoard...deciding which to save, which to toss.   As I peeled off the address labels of magazines going to book recycle center, I decided that they would make a great tiled background in my journal.  After adhering them with medium, I added a wash of gesso to blur references to my name and address and to unify the two pages and blocked in alphabet stencils.  An illustrated Ralph's grocery bag laying nearby on the floor gave inspiration for the surf boards. Using one of my favorite products, Gelatos, I drew in the features of the beach scene and used stamps, pencils, and micron pens to add detail.  To find captions, I turned to several local publications which tout the year long beach life of our treasure coast.




Someone recently asked me if I plan ahead...no...the labels and the sequence were pure serendipity.


I revised the pages after I found 3d pieces to mix in.




5 comments:

  1. Wow Linda, thanks for giving a nice warm summer feeling in the middle of a snowfall! Wonderful! Wishing you a creative 2015!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice colors, material usage, and overall enjoyable! Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fabulous spread- makes me want to go to the beach Now!!
    gotta love the serendipity!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the patterns on the surfboards! Great reminder of Summer!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love this spread and the serendipity that jump-started it!

    ReplyDelete