This journal entry was prompted by the January 31 challenge in the Documented Life Project which suggested using "under papers," those messy scraps from the desktop, as a starting point to work the theme, "What Lies Beneath."
Getting started was easy because I always have papers to catch spills, clean brushes, to save my workspace from disaster. I chose a favorite material, dyed paper towels. Before I could go on to the next step I had to seal this mess. First I tried a spray fix then went to a quick coat of matte medium to keep the dye from running.
I wrote the captions with my new gel pen and highlighted the text. I was unhappy with the way the glue/matte medium blurred the bride's face. I reprinted her image on a transparency for a top layer. There is nothing pretty about these pages, but that's how it should be. I wanted to have a sense of beauty underneath, with a dark mood and obscure images to represent the mystery, the horror, and the sadness.