What makes a gator a gypsy?

teacher, traveler, photographer, political junky, smash and bash artist, grandmimi, mom, canine companion

Saturday, June 13, 2015

Mixed Media Mayhem - Asian Aesthetic


The Feminine Beauty of the Asian Aesthetic


After reading several posts on Facebook about the virtues of reducing clutter and purging possessions, I took a critical look around.  An avid collector, I have amassed both valuables and detritus from everywhere.  Some of it is on display, some of it is stockpiled in labeled boxes, and some of it is strewn randomly about.  Serious winnowing will take some time, but I decided to commit a journal to "use it up."  I started with one of my boxes of paper collected during my many trips to China, and I looked for stamps and other elements that would coordinate.  After admiring the journal posts at Art Journal Journey, I decided to do a spread recognizing the feminine beauty in the Asian aesthetic.

I began these pages with a collage of Chinese newspapers relying heavily on the graphic text. A coat of gesso pushed back the intensity.  Next, To provide layers, I adhered "Lucky" papers, stenciled bamboo stalks,  and stamped tissue paper.  I like the effect of stamping on tissue paper because I can avoid messy errors on my page, and the tissue is transparent.  I used some stamps to add the text background layers and some to add focal images.



As a final stamp, I parted with some Asian themed postage stamps to move around the page.






6 comments:

  1. Beautiful work Linda, love the colours, and the distinctive Asian designs, very harmonious. Thanks for joining us at Art Journal Journey, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Asia and you created it so artsy here... the layering is gorgeous!
    I am thrilled about this spread!
    Thank you very much for joining us again at Art Journal Journey Linda!
    oxo
    Susi

    ReplyDelete
  3. what a wonderful asian spread!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love anything Asian! This red combined with the newsletter text is perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the colors and the Asian images.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you all....I decided to go with the pink lucky papers as an unusual twist on Asian interpretation

    ReplyDelete