What makes a gator a gypsy?

teacher, traveler, photographer, political junky, smash and bash artist, grandmimi, mom, canine companion

Friday, August 14, 2015

Mixed Media Mayhem - Take Me Away

June Theme   Travel Journaling
June 6 Art Challenge Illustrative Art Journaling
Journal Prompt:  Take Me Away



The challenge posed by this month's theme, Travel Journaling, was perfect for me.  I could do this forever.  Having traveled near and far my whole life, I have many memories to draw on.  These memories are documented in thousands of photos and bins of memorabilia (and a huge collection of folk art).  I have two giant bins of newspapers, magazines, and labels from China alone.  I try to make a book using BookSmart after each journey, but as with everything else, I am behind.

My last big trip was to celebrate my birthday traveling to Turkey and the Greek Islands.  I spent over a week in Istanbul which gave me lots of time to walk the city or take the tram to more distant locations.  Shopping in the Grand Bazaar, the Curcurcuma antique district, or the Ortaköy district, my favorite finds were old postcards and photographs.  For this journal entry, Illustrative Art Journaling, I chose several of my most representative postcard images.  To make these more my own, I photocopied and transfered them to my journal page using gel medium. I sealed my journal pages first with a coat of matte medium.  A green scubby sponge works well to work the paper off of the transfers.



To make a background congruent with the sepia look of the photo, I concocted a mixture of fiber paste and Distress Ink to give me the look of old walls in the city.



I did achieve a gnarly surface, but I am not sure I am happy with it.  Adding my written text and some scraps from receipts, I finished up the page.













1 comment:

  1. This is just phenominal, Linda! Great transfers! I always want to use photos in my projects, but I never know how to integrate them without making them look too much like a scrapbook. Your page looks awesome!

    ReplyDelete