What makes a gator a gypsy?

teacher, traveler, photographer, political junky, smash and bash artist, grandmimi, mom, canine companion

Thursday, April 9, 2015

Mixed Media Mayhem - The Documented Life - March 28

March Theme   Making Your Mark (Doodles & Mark Making)
March 28    Art Challenge:  Make a Custom Element
Journal Prompt:  "Ride the energy of your own unique spirit." - Gabrielle Roth


For this challenge I made several custom element having my usual problem of sticking to one thing.

First I created a drawing borrowed from a t-shirt from Bali where I went for both my 50th and my 60th birthdays.  I put her on a watercolored and stamped background.


I used a variety of gelli printed heavy papers to cut the shapes to correspond to the parts of the image.


I made a second kind of element using one of my ez screens...making a lotus on gelli printed paper. Hard to choose between the positive and negative images.


I put the lotus on her hand to represent her spirit so I needed another element on the right side.  I rubber stamped several parts of lotus blossoms on printed paper, cut them out, and pasted them to the page and made another screened image of a spiritual bird to place on her knee.


For my journal entry, I stamped the letters on tissue paper and glued them to the page.  This is my go to technique to avoid those awful lettering mistakes in the final moment.






No comments:

Post a Comment